This year’s Duck Stamp entry was going to be one of those boundary-pushing concepts that would open up a whole new vista of being accused of cheating. I got thermochromic pigments that go from color to clear once they hit 71° Fahrenheit & mixed them with gel medium to turn into (sort of) acrylic paint. First, I painted the base layer painting then made a 2nd version of the same scene, much more colorful version & the opposite gender of the base duck. After the first layer was done,I had to line up a printout of the second layer & use carbon paper to transfer the design. Since I can’t have the marks showing through when the colors disappear, I bought UV pens to trace over the carbon paper lines & erase those, then use a blacklight while painting. I then got both regular ice to chill the paints & dry ice to make the Masonite cold while blasting the air conditioner.
I said “going to”, because things didn’t quite shake out like that. Just can’t get things cold enough to get the colors show up & with 2 weeks left, is just to tough to pull this off & get it up to a standard I’m satisfied with. Oh, I also don’t know what the temperature will be at the contest, so layer number 2 may not even show up there. Throwing in the towel on the original idea. May give it another shot if I can do this when the outdoor temp is like 40° & do it out there.