It's a #kabukitee from @paper_theory . I like a quick and easy top! Made from a remnant of heavy linen (probably meant for upholstery). Now, I do an FBA to add a few inches in the bust on everything I make, and it's usually not good when I skip this. So, not sure it was necessary with this pattern, but I did one (by rotating the pattern piece from the shoulder to add some width, then rotating back from the armpit to bring the side seam back to the original width). It has worked, but I plan to make it again using the origiinal pattern for comparison.
Top from japanese sewing book Kana's Standard 2.
Fabric is a light linen from Draper's Fabrics.
Love a quick and easy sew, especially working with cotton or linen. I prefer sewing with wovens over knits anyday! The patterns in the book come in 4 sizes (better than some of the japanese books that come in one-size-fits-most) and I had to grade up a few sizes. The finished-garment measurements are given, but not the body measurements that are drafted for, which made it a bit challenging to know how big to make it. Also there was barely any increase in the armhole size from one size to the next so the combo of smallish armhole plus large bust wasn't ideal. So I added a 2"panel down each side all the way from sleeve hem to garment hem and now it fits loosely how I like!
Covered button using a japanese button-kit bought years back from that Japanese shop on Queen St near the Civic (for you Aucklanders). I NEED to see if they still sell them 'cos these are the quickest covered buttons to make.
#inaritee by @namedclothing in #libertyfabrics cotton knit. Purchased the pattern so so long ago and only just made for the first time. Lengthened 3" cos I chickened out of the crop length...BUT maybe I should crop it. I found these high-waisted men's jeans at my fleamarket, chopped to cropped length...and a cropped Inari would work...but not with much else. Also added darts and 3" bust space.
Getting used to the coverstitch machine, but it does put up a bit of a fight. (Also I wasn't sure about highwaisted jeans in rigid denim like the Persephone pants, and how it would work on curvy girl with tummy but I love these and might have to make the Persephones!) #imadethis#libertyartfabrics#seweditmyself#sewistsofinstagram#handmadewardrobe#imakemyownclothes#aucklandsews#cscsews
The dress I wore for #frocktailsauckland was not a new make -alas, the dress I'd planned to make for it hasn't been made (or even cut out!) yet. This was my first version of @burda_style bell sleeve mini dress 03/2016, made a couple years ago. It has raglan sleeves with a shoulder dart to curve over the shoulder.
Done! The most painful pattern-matching I've ever had to do. It's an unbalanced directional plaid that isn't symmetrical vertically or horizontally. I swear it took longer to cut than to sew. Phew, gonna stay away from such plaids in future. I did nail this notched collar, though, (thanks to the awesomely helpful blog by @pattern.scissors.cloth - I'm learning loads from it!) Pattern: @burdastyle Wide Lapel Jacket 11/2015
Fabric: wool from @drapersfabrics
Just finished making the #sundayeverydaysweater from @ensemble.patterns I like the hem! It has lots of length/hem options. Almost too many to choose from! This is the "short" variation (which despite the line drawings is same length in front as "crop" variation but with longer back. The line drawings don't seem to be drawn to the same scale as each other). Burnt-orange merino-nylon from @nzmerinofabrics , bought online, that I hadn't anticipated being a bit shiiiiiiny. But soo soft and fleecy inside. Note: made bust adjustment with some pivot/slide type deal which may have resulted in the sides being super blousy. Next time will just make as drafted. The mysteries of pattern adjusting... I think I'm out of my depth sometimes!
Whoops, finished #mmmay18 with a whimper rather than a bang and didn't document the last 2 days...I was just bundled up in all the warm things. So, what #memademay showed me I need: easy-going wearable things for an unfancy life, pants!! (I have made hardly any pants!), and clothes that actually go together (I seem to have the anti-capsule wardrobe). I need a family tree of clothes.
First make since: #grecotee by @ensemble.patterns . I like very much. Free pattern (with newsletter sign-up), go get it! Note: I added few inches to the bust, and, my fault, the neckline is a bit wider than the pattern intended as I bound it rather than attaching the band, while still cutting the pieces the same. I dig the boxy shape. FYI it's a little long on a short person such as myself, might want to shorten. There will be more of these!