Designed by Horta and finished by Brunfaut the second busiest train station in Belgium opened in 1956 and only counts 6 platforms. On the exterior walls next to the main entrance a commemorative art work reminds us of the popular neighbourhood of the Cantersteen and Putterij that had to be razed for its construction
Beaux-arts museum with the palace of the prince of Lorraine still dominating left hand side with walled garden where now are office of the Court des Comptes. Right hand side also has other construction than today
A tradition going back at least 710 years, the Meyboom (or maypole tree), was planted today. It is therefore the oldest folkloric tradition in Brussels, but much less commercialised than the Ommegang, which makes it the most authentic as well.
Unfortunately the neighbourhood of the Meyboom - les Bas-Fonds- has been severely scarred by the implantation of administrative offices. Luckily the Meyboom tradition persists, for probably longer than 710 years because it has all the symbols of the ancient pagan feast of midsummer: and ode to the sun, nature and the beginning of harvest
A photo of transition: the newly built North-Midi underground connection requires all steam engines to be pulled by the first generation of electrical locomotives because of the smoke underground. Here pictured with wooden GCI-wagons at Chapelle/Kapellekerk station. Early 1950s?