We live in a world of constant distraction. Phones, news, social media, television, etc. Being fully present is becoming a thing of the past.
Some of you are shaking your head, saying “that’s my life.” The question is what are you going to do about it?
When we practice mindfulness, we are practicing paying attention (to ourselves and others) on purpose and in the present moment, without judgement. It’s about noticing, not labeling.
The good news is that anyone can practice mindfulness and be mindful. You don’t have to buy a special cushion or wear special clothing. It only requires you to devote a little time and space to do it daily.
Try this exercise I call the Mindfulness Minute: For the next minute (you can set a timer if necessary), put aside whatever it is your doing and find a comfortable seat. Close your eyes.
1. Simply notice your breath. Feel your breath move in through your nose and out through your nose. Notice how the breath fills your lungs on the inhale, then empties out with the exhale. Simply notice.
2. Begin to notice sounds. No need to label the sounds, just notice.
3. Become aware of the temperature of the air against your skin.
4. Begin to observe when thoughts and emotions that arise, without judgement and not trying to change anything. Simply notice.
5. If your mind wanders, which is highly possible, bring it back to your breath and the rise and fall of your chest.
6. When you are ready, slowly open your eyes, fully present to your surroundings.
7. Repeat as many times a day as needed.
Practice. Practice. Practice. Make the time in your busy day to slow down and become more present because not only you will reap the benefits, but so will those around you. All you need is a minute.
Our model tip today comes from the beautiful inside and out @vanessa_oconnell 💕 “Different people suit different jobs. So don’t compare yourself to others! Someone else may be good for one thing and you may be good for another. You don’t have to be great like her, you can be great like you!” We think this is great advice for everyone not just models! Be proud to be Distinct 😉✨ #wearedistinct#modeladvice#modeltips#wisewords#bedistinct
"We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants. We see more, and things that are more distant, than they did, not because our sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours." Salisbury
Patience, you will overcome everything you're feeling right now. Eventually, it won't hurt anymore because you'll be in a better place; loving and cherishing yourself. You'll eventually realize they simply weren't meant to stay in your life.
EBOOKS and BOOKS are available through the link in my bio.
Maggie Carpenter: “I love Eggs Benedict, I hate every other kind. I hate big weddings with everybody staring. I'd like to get married on a weekday while everybody's at work. And when I ride off into the sunset, I want my own horse.”
Ike Graham: “Should I be writing this down?” — Runaway Bride 🖤 || 📸 @bridesmagazine