Town of Piedmont, Wyoming:
Located west of the Piedmont Charcoal kilns, the town of Piedmont started out as a logging camp supplying ties for the approaching union Pacific Railroad in the 1860s. It also served as a base camp for the graders building the railroad route over near Aspen Mountain. More and more people moved to Piedmont to work for the railroad or logging operations. The town became a thriving community complete with the general store, hotel, school, post office, and several saloons. Among the first settlers in the area where the Moses Byrne family (builder of the charcoal kilns) and the Charles Guild family (owner of the Guild Mercantile). In fact, Piedmont was originally named Byrne, but the name was changed to prevent confusion with the nearby town of Brian. Piedmont translated Means foot of the mountains in Italian. Around 1901, the railroad line was rerouted a few miles north of Piedmont through the newly completed aspen tunnel. Without the railroad, the logging and charcoal business collapsed, it was the beginning of the end. Piedmont struggled on until the 1940s when the Guild Mercantile store closed for lack of business. All that remains are the ruins of a few old homes, the kilns and cemeteries. In 1896, Butch Cassidy met up with his boys in Piedmont before riding off to rob the Montpelier, Idaho Bank. Treasure seekers still search for the stolen gold reportedly buried nearby. Calamity Jane apparently lived in Piedmont as a young girl.