The Parrocchia di San'Antonio Abate (Parish of Saint Antony Abbot) stands with its tall lava stone base in Piazza Sant'Antonio, in Pedara.
At the beginning this church stood in the homonymous district of Sant'Antonio and had been built by faithful devotees, who were mostly muleteers and shepherds.
Because of the eruption of Mount Etna in 1408, this first church was destroyed and the inhabitants, who in the meantime had taken refuge in the district "Pietralunga S. Antonio" began to build a new one there. This second church, however, remained unfinished, because once the eruption had ceased, it was preferred to plant it in the center of the village, near the new sciara of the lava stream that had dried up.
A few years later, probably thanks to the White Queen, wife and vicar of King Martin, who exempted the villages of Etna hit by lava from the payment of some gabelles , the inhabitants could begin construction of the new church dedicated to the Holy Abbot a short distance from church of Santa Maria la Stella.
In 1680 this church was also demolished, as a larger one was built closer to the town.
The earthquake of 1963 brought down the ceiling, which was coffered in wood, and part of the bell tower.
The arrangement, by the humble population of the neighborhood, was completed thanks to the collaboration of the great benefactor and patron Don Diego Pappalardo, who wanted to place the family crest to the base of the statue of the saint placed on the facade of the church. Inside you can admire some paintings dating back to the late 17th century, a valuable 18th-century wooden crucifix and the simulacrum of the Holy Titular dating back to the late 16th century.
The Basilica of Santa Caterina Alessandrina is located in Piazza Don Diego Pappalardo square, in Pedara.
In 1388 the inhabitants of Pedara built a parish church that they dedicated to the Annunciation. Because of the frequent seismic and eruptive phenomena, the ancient inhabitants were forced to move further south, giving rise to the districts of "San Biagio" and the "Matrice", so the old church of the Annunciation became distant from the new inhabited center.
In 1547 the inhabitants began to build a church in Romanesque style in the new site and dedicated it to Santa Caterina d'Alessandria, which became the patron saint of the village. The building was completed in 1563 and in the same year the sacraments were transferred there from the Church of the Annunciation.
Following the increase in population, in 1682 the priest Diego Pappalardo decided to build an even larger church, so the construction of 1547 was demolished and the sacraments were again transferred to the church of the Annunciation, which meanwhile had been rebuilt at the end of the '500 on the top of a hill to the north of the country.
The new building was opened to worship in 1687 but the works were completed in 1691. Unfortunately, the terrible earthquake of 1693 swept it away completely.
Two years after the earthquake, the inhabitants began to build it again.
During that time the sacraments were transferred to the church of St. Anthony the Abbot, which had already been repaired. Under the impulse of Don Diego and thanks to the skill of the best artisans and artists of the time, the costruction was completed in 1705.
In 1976, the archbishop Domenico Picchinenna consecrated and dedicated it to the patron saint Santa Caterina.
Finally, in 1996, Pope Giovanni Paolo II raised it to the dignity of a Pontifical Minor Basilica.