The Guyon-Lake-Tysen House is now located on the north side of Richmond Road between Court Place and St. Patrick's Place. It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1962 from its original location in Oakwood, on Tysen's Lane between Mill Road and Hylan Boulevard.
The Guyon-Lake-Tysen House is unusually large by 18th-century Staten Island standards and represents a substantial, prosperous way of life. It was constructed as a farmhouse and was used as such for most of its history. It was situated in an area of large, fertile farm plots of substantial acreage.
The house is one of few 18th-century gambrel-roof houses surviving on Staten Island today. This once-common form combines Dutch and Franco-Flemish features in a style that was later dubbed "Dutch Colonial." It is exceptional for the survival of its interior wood paneling and detailing. It has two stories plus a cellar and attic, and a kitchen extension to the west. The main portion of the house has dormers and a wide front porch. The kitchen has a wide spring eave on the front, a small porch at the back door, and a small woodshed attached to the west end.
The house was originally built near New Dorp Beach on an 80 acre farm. Joseph Guyon, a farmer of Huguenot descent, constructed the house ca. 1740. His name can still be seen written in the clay daubing above the door of the middle parlor.
#ArchitectureTuesdays#DutchDays#historicarchitecture#historicrichmondtown#statenisland#statenislandhistoricalsociety#woodworking#carpentry#coopers#nyc#newyorkcity#statenisland#statenislandusa#siny#sinyc#visitstatenisland#iloveny#ispyny#silive#timeoutnewyork#cbsnewyork#nbc4ny#abc7ny#fox5ny @hhtnyc @nycparks @nyculture @visitstatenisland @siadvance #architecturetuesday
The General Store, located at its original site on Court Place, is attached to the rear of the Stephens-Black House. It is a rectangular structure of one story with an attic. It was constructed in stages beginning ca. 1840, but most of the structure was demolished in the 1940s. It was restored and reconstructed by Historic Richmond Town in 1964.
The store was built as part of the Stephens-Black House, the home of merchant Stephen Dover Stephens, his wife Elizabeth Johnson Stephens and their five children. The store was a popular gathering spot. The village of Richmond was a bustling place, particularly on trial days, and the store was a place for neighbors to meet and catch up on the news of the day. It also served as the village post office. Stephens offered a wide variety of goods for purchase, including flour ground at nearby Geib's Mill, spices, muslin and ribbon, household goods, nails, and turpentine.
In 1870, the Stephens family sold the house and store to Mary Black, who moved to Staten Island from Manhattan with her husband Joseph and their family. The Blacks had twelve children living with them in 1870; they also had one domestic servant and one worker in the store. Their oldest son, James, probably headed the store for a time during the 1870s, before possibly departing Staten Island. Parents Mary and Joseph Black both died around 1876. Their eldest daughter, Victorine, married and left the household, while her sisters Josephine, Sarah, and Mary Black successfully operated the store and post office from around 1880 to 1920.#historicarchitecture#historicrichmondtown#statenisland#statenislandhistoricalsociety#woodworking#carpentry#coopers#tin#tinsmithing#blacksmithing#metalwork#nyc#newyorkcity#statenisland#statenislandusa#siny#sinyc#visitstatenisland#iloveny#ispyny#silive#timeoutnewyork#cbsnewyork#nbc4ny#abc7ny#fox5ny @hhtnyc @nycparks @nyculture @visitstatenisland @siadvance #architecturetuesday