With the lower front detailing done (see post, Wasp 8.) I decided to concentrate on the sides, top and back.
I needed quick ear pucks for reference. Since I hadn’t worked out exactly how I was going to create mine yet, I found a 3D model of the helmet (by Necrosster) on Etsy. I printed the ear pucks to use as placeholders. NOTE: these are not used on the final helmet.
Over a few days I worked out the shapes of the sides, top and back.
The top and back were especially tricky because what you see here are not the final surfaces. The design of the helmet has carbon fiber plates on the top and back. I knew I wanted to create separate plates that I could wrap in vinyl carbon fiber and attach to both. I still hadn’t worked out exactly how I would make those plates and get them to fit correctly so the height and shape of the top base, as you see here, was a total guess.
The brown colored clay is Monster Clay. The white clay is Plastilina that is underneath, which I used to bulk out the base before switching to Monster Clay. (See post, Wasp 3.) #wasphelmetbuild#scratchbuilt#handmade#antmanandthewasp#monsterclay#sculpture
With the base complete, I added the detailing to the face lower half. To achieve the multilayering: in some areas I removed and shaped the clay, in others I added to what was already there.
I utilized a technique where I would flatten the clay between to sheets of parchment paper (using a rolling pin) then cut out the shapes with a hobby knife. Using this technique I could vary the thickness of the clay and it became similar to layer building with foam. **Photos in progressive order by shot angle.** #wasphelmetbuild#scratchbuilt#handmade#antmanandthewasp#monsterclay#sculpture