Eco Round - create a Mermaid/Under The Sea themed outfit from second hand, recycled or waste materials.
My monster of a dress was designed in my head before I even applied to enter, and put to paper in July. It wasn't until 5 days before the competition I could start construction! 😌 * A base of melted plastic carrier bags, cut and sewn together like a proper dress
* Plastic scales made from milk and drink bottles and plastic cake boxes, coloured with nail varnish by local children and signed with their name in marker pen, all stitched on top creating a perfect rainbow 🌈 * Trimmed top and bottom with ring pulls, with a ring pull corset down the back, tied with the binding I cut off the top of some lace I recently used in a project
* Straps and back made from plastic can rings, tied together with the tops of the carrier bag handles
* Newspaper skirt and huge petticoat, with the outer pictures showing beaches, water, marine animals and even Vietnam and Cambodia shots as a reminder of my charity cycle
* Handprint "seaweed" from a melted Lincolnshire County Council recycling bag, from my cousin Maddi, friend's little girl Chloe (who calls me Auntie Twinkle), and my niece and goddaughter Luna 💚
* Strarfish made of red and yellow melted carrier bags, for my nephew James, and Chloe's brother Aiden, both my Godsons who were sadly both born sleeping, but were stars in the sky looking down on me 💙
I had to seriously hold it together on stage explaining it when I got to the end. Blowing a kiss before I left the stage and broke down in tears 😢 It was a hugely emotional piece, one I am incredibly proud of creating, and hugely grateful for all the kids help with getting involved in the scales too, with the personal touch and tribute 😊
My entire dress can be recycled......but I don't want to ever throw it away!
this is rubbish. she is called rubbish because she was saved from a dumpster in new york. she now lives in los angeles and is missing most of her teeth. she makes noises that are more squeak toy than cat. at night she tears around like a demon and knocks shit over. she enjoys laps #laps#rubbish#cat
This is what tides bring to the beach all over the world every day. Scary to see. So many animals die every day because of this rubbish in the ocean! It looks harmless for us but we have to keep our beaches and oceans clean. Did you know that by 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in our ocean ? Let‘s be the change 🤙🏼💙 #saveouroceans#saveourbeaches#rubbish#plastictides#little#beachcleanups#help
Went back to the coves that we had tried to clear on Monday and filled another 3 bags. I wouldn’t declare it ‘clean’ as I’m sure there is plenty of trash hiding under all those rocks but we did pick up everything in sight this time. I thought we were going to run out of bags again (😬) but managed to stuff it all in 👊 Plus as Craig rightly pointed out, we can only carry so much! 💪 Grumpy beachcleaner is now Happy beachcleaner. 💙🌊 Leo found a ball (as usual) so he was happy too 🎾🐶
A MASSIVE THANK YOU to @jackiextrang for joining our challenge! You can too if you check out #ourgoodactivistickers & take part in this incredible mission to help clean up the planet 🌍💚💪🏽 All details are on our last post!
GOOD LUCK & PICK-UP!
This is where your rubbish is going! The beautiful countryside, away from public glare, sprayed with perfume (toxic!) to hide the smell.
This is what we are creating every time we put our rubbish out. Trucks carry at least 3-4 loads here a day, and the line of trucks never stop. We need to chose biodegradable packaging. We need to reduce how much waste we throw out. This what we are leaving for our children. #waste#reducereuserecycle#biodegradable#thissucks#rubbish#wasteland