This four-storey building was built between 1905 and 1907 as part of the third phase of the Speicherstadt (1899-1912) and is one of the most famous landmarks and oldest buildings in the historic warehouse complex. The moated castle lies on a peninsula in an exposed position between two canals : at the confluence of Wandrahmsfleet and Holländischbrookfleet.
The design was probably based on designs by the two Hamburg architects Bernhard Georg Hanssen and Wilhelm Emil Meerwein , who were also involved in the designs for the Hamburg City Hall . The façade is decorated in the style of North German brick expressionism and has been decorated with glass bands and granite structures. Other features include the green copper roof, the high arched windows and round bay windows. The only tower is a clock tower with ribbons of green glazed tiles and red granite stones. The shallow water-side extension at the back of the Wasserschlösschen is not part of the original structure, but was built in the post-war period from rubble. Until recently, there were offices and storage rooms in the building. #germany#hamburg#speicherstadt#unescoworldheritage#neogothic#architecture#wasserschloss#bridges#warehousedistrict#canals#elberiver#redbricks#expressionism#moatedcastle#peninsula#mostphotographed#latergram#throwback#AtoZinGermany