Electric locomotive 4601. Now preserved at the Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Museum, it was the first of a class of 40 locomotives. They were built starting in 1956 for the electrification of the Blue Mountains Line to Lithgow. They were built in England by Beyer Peacock using Metropolitan Vickers electrical equipment.
During their career they hauled passengers and freight trains on both the Blue Mountains and Central Coast lines to Gosford. In the 1970s a pair of them regularly hauled the Indian Pacific between Central and Lithgow where an locomotive change took place. They also worked freight trains on the metropolitan goods lines and to Glenlee Coliery just south of Campbelltown. Later they also operated on coal traffic to Port Kembla.
4620 was the locomotive leading the train involved in the Granville train disaster in 1977. It was subsequently scrapped. The rest were withdrawn and most were scrapped between 1990 and 1996.
Five are in preservation at various places in New South Wales. None are operational at this time though 4615 may be going to be reactivated soon.
"The legendary WCG1/EF1 locomotive,a relic straight from the pages of India's Golden Railway History" :)
Among the many historical treasures that 'stand the test of time' at Central Railway's iconic 'Heritage Gully',is a special locomotive that seems to be the major attraction among all other relics!
The 'WCG1/EF1 Locomotive',also known as 'Sir Leslie Wilson' is the country's first DC electric freight locomotive. It is named after the governor of Bombay, Sir. Leslie Wilson who originally flagged one of these in 1928.The electric locomotive was 'one' of the '41' electric locomotives to come to the country from 'Metropolitan Vickers Co, London'!Sir Leslie Wilson also flagged the first electric train in the country on the 3rd of February,1925 which ran between Bombay VT (Present day CSMT)and Coorla (kurla) , officially inaugurating the railway electrification in India.Originally classified as EF/1,this broad- guage (5'6"),1500 V DC locomotive was specially designed for goods service on India's first Railway, The GIP Railway (now CR).It had four '650 HP' motors connected to the running wheels through a jackshaft with connecting and coupling rods. It was suitable for working of trains on heavy grade and specially for banking operation which required very high tractive effort. The Loco weighs 123 tons. It also hauled the famous 'Deccan Queen' at one point of time. It also features the original livery of the GIP Railway! The engine was finally withdrawn from hauling service in the 1950's.It was then used for shunting operations in the Victoria Terminus Yard until the 80's. It was then transferred to the kalyan loco shed and was finally decommissioned in 1992.They were also known locally as the 'crocodile' or 'khekda' (crab) after their characteristic 'moaning' sound. EF/1 20067 is one of the two remaining of the class,the other being at the National Rail Museum, New Delhi!
The disused Bridport Railway - a branch line that ran between Bridport and the mainline at Maiden Newton from 1857 until its closure in 1975. Parts of the line can now be walked or cycled. Pics taken at Whetley Bridge near Powerstock
Grey outdoors, but very colourful indoors at the National Railway Museum.
A fascinating place, since everything is so beautifully preserved or restored. I bet none of the trains ever looked so pristine on the tracks.
You may have heard about waiting for a train that never comes, but on the High Country Rail Trail with glorious views of Lake Hume, they never want to leave.
Located at Huon, on the High Country Rail Trail sits Walker Railmotor #24 gazing silently out over Lake Hume.
One of 16 produced #24 entered service in 1949, as part of Victorian Railways' "Operation Phoenix", a rail rehabilitation program after WWII.
Produced by the Walker Bros Railmotor company of Wigan England, the body was constructed by Martin & King of Malvern Victoria and put together at the Newport Railway workshops
After 30 years of service for Victorian Railways #24 was retired in 1980, the 153hp engine was removed and used to restore #32RM which underwent an extensive restoration and officially re-entered service on the Daylesford Spa Country Tourist Railway in March 2018.
What remained of #24 was sold to the former Tallangatta Valley Steam Preservation Society in 1983 to live out the rest of its days on the High Country Rail Trail 🚞