The Budir church, the “black" church, is one of the icons of the Snaefellsness peninsula in a lava field. It’s called the black church because it is covered with tar pitch, which keeps the wood from deteriorating from the harsh elements. It was originally built in 1703 and rebuilt in 1848. There are only three black churches remaining in Iceland. Among the valuable possessions of the church are a bell from 1672 and another one without the construction year, an altarpiece from 1750, an old silver chalice, two messing candlesticks from 1767, and a door ring from 1703.