A bit of a swerveball - Harry Toddler with Dem a Carry Man Name.
I went through a phase a couple of years ago when I would wander up to Camden to the same record shop which just sold reggae, dub, dancehall. The guy started to remember me as I was looking for Patois vocals, and this is one he pulled out for me. A quick google search of Harry Toddler pull up an article in the Jamaica Star that ‘pigs used to rob Harry Toddler’. I hope he’s okay. Swipe right for a taste, a lot of fun.
The Specials are a 2-tone ska band from Coventry UK, formed in 1977 and initially active until 1984, with multiple brief reformations then.
The Specials are single-handedly responsible for the entire second-wave ska revival and the British 2-tone/ rude boy thing. They were incredibly appealing to me back in the early 90’s when the third wave of ska bands in the US was churning out stuff like Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish. Older kids in high school liked The Specials and The Selecter, so I checked them out when I was about 14 and fell in love with this first self-titled record, released in 1979 on Two-Tone Records in the UK and Chrysalis Records everywhere else. The album was also produced by Elvis Costello, which was a another artist I’d grown up with.
The Specials were great to me because they were equal parts goofy, fun, political, and melancholy. Some of my favorite ska songs period are on this record, including their cover of Dandy Livingstone’s “A Message To You Rudy,” “Doesn’t Make It Alright,” “(Dawning Of A) New Era,” and “You’re Wondering Now.”
This album will always play an important role in the evolution of my musical tastes at a young age; The Specials led to discovering real dance-hall music, 50’s and 60’s Jamaican ska, roots reggae, and dub.
I found this US/Chrysalis pressing @streetlightrecords in San Jose CA in 1998 or so.
Apply at www.tpusa.com/SAS ! Use my discount code “DRIENA” for half off the registration fee once accepted! ($15!) Upon acceptance, TPUSA will offer students a subsidized hotel package FOR ALL THREE NIGHTS starting at only $25 total !! (Rooming and networking with other SAS attendees) You can choose to not take a hotel package as well if you’re local!
That’s $15 -$40 for 4 days at the biggest, best conservative summit in the country!
What are you waiting for? Tell your students about this conference and have them apply!
Adult tickets are also available for purchase following this link -> Senior and veteran discounts available! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tpusas-student-action-summit-2018-tickets-48577356180
[pl/eng] Reakcja na zaręczyny Pati&Mony.
1. Biała Singielka/Zazdroszczę Wam. Od dziecka marzę o ślubie. Ja urodziłam się w białej sukni. Nie zdejmuję jej, bo w każdej chwili może wejść prawo zezwalające na związki osób homoseksulanych. Czekam na to z niecierpliwością. Przy okazji: poszukuję żony!
2.Anarchistka/Po co Wam zaręczyny? To pomysł patriarchatu!!! Precz z formalizacją relacji.
3.Ta, co straciła głowę z miłości/Dziewczyny bywają zdradliwe, związki są nietrwałe. Czy zaręczyny to zmienią? Nic nie uratuje umierającej miłości!
4. Mario&Rafi: Jesteście cudne! Czekamy na ślub i wesele!
5.Świnia: To świństwo, że pominęłyście mnie zaręczając się. Czuję się częścią tego związku.Co ze mną?
[ang] Reactions to the engagement:
1. White Single / I envy you. I've dreamed about a wedding since I was a child. I was born in a white dress. I do not take it off, because a law allowing lesbian weddings can be passed at any moment. I am waiting impatiently for this. By the way: I am looking for a wife!
2.Anarchist / Why do you need an engagement? This is the idea of patriarchy !!! Down with relationship formalization!
3. Elizabeth - who lost her head for the girl she met at Twin Heart party / Women tend to be treacherous, relationships are impermanent. Will the engagement change that? Nothing will save dying love!
4. Mario & Rafi: You are wonderful !!! We can not wait for the wedding!
5. Pig/Cat:: What about me? I feel left out, and yet I am part of this relationship!
#polishlesbian kulturalesbijska #kobietanieheteronormatywna#lesbian#lesbianart#lesbianartist#lesbianartists#lesbianculture#polishlesbian#lesbianrebels#lesbianrevolution#bi#pansexual#nonheteronormative#feminist#vaginaart#womenpower#womenempowerment#damskitandemtworczy#lesbianpower#art#womenart#womenartist#yourstoryisimportant#lgbtq#womenarestrong#womeninspiringwomen#lp !