I made Fricassée de poulet à L’Ancienne tonight, minus the carrots and mushrooms. I used potatoes instead. It was so good and had so much flavor. My recipe out of my Julia Child cookbook was definitely a success. #frenchcooking#foodie#delicious#dinner#juliachild
This book is a MUST HAVE for both locals and tourists! “111 Places in Washington That You Must Not Miss” was written by the fabulous Andréa Seiger. TOHO is a strong supporter of @urbansafaridc111 and the work she is doing in for the tourism community in DC. 📘
Today’s book talk was a private event hosted by The Guild Of Professional Tour Guides of Washington DC. We thank the Guild and Andréa for this wonderful opportunity.
We know what you’re thinking... “Are any of these places about WOMEN’S history and culture?” HECK YEA!
There are stories about Harriet Tubman and Julia Child (you can also learn about them on our “I Spy” tour.) The story of the HOPE DIAMOND had us saying “Wow, Wow, Wow.” Local Tour Guides: You need to know about this one!🔷 We especially love the local women-owned businesses that are highlighted. You must visit the one-of-a-kind spice store that will take you on spiritual and culinary journey. While you’re at it, enjoy a meditative afternoon at the super secret Chinese tea shop in Georgetown! ☕️ We’re not telling you everything because the beauty is in the details. Andréa is a magnificent storyteller and this book invites the reader in and brings these places to life.
Order it online or pick it up at one of the many museum gift shops around DC.
Support local. Support women. ✌🏼 _________________________________
P.S. - This meeting was held at the newly renovated @dcpubliclibrary located in the West End. A neighborhood once “home” to Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
. . .
Happy Holidays from Kazoo!
Today’s gift guide is for the girl who never gives up! If your little one strives for perfection, but sometimes forgets that mistakes are awesome, too, then grab a copy of our Mistakes Issue (#8 ). It’s all about how our goofs make us stronger, smarter and more creative. Pair it with:
1. A roller coaster to build and play. A little patience is required to put this one together, but like Kazoo contributing expert Anya Tyler, the roller coast designer from @SkylineAttrax, says, “If you want to do something, set your mind to do it!” (Magic Crush Roller Run, by ROKR. $40. https://bit.ly/2EgauXK)
2. A Cookbook, because there’s no better way to learn from her mistakes than to cook. (She’ll also be inspired by our #juliachild comic in this issue.) (Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up, by Mollie Kaizen. $8. https://bit.ly/2EnmNlW)
3. A Skateboard! She might not (yet) roll like @lizziearmanto, featured in this issue, but this board is a good place to start. (Mini cruiser by Skatro. $60. https://bit.ly/2EnmU0Q)
4. A Microscope! DYK penicillin was discovered by mistake when a scientist accidentally left out his petri dishes? What else will she discover by mistake?
(Microscope, by AmScope, $52. https://bit.ly/2EqPezG)
5. Geodes! We say in this issue that geodes are nature’s most beautiful mistakes. She can grow these herself. (Geode Mega Crystal Growing Lab, by National Geographic, $42. https://bit.ly/2SJ5oan)
6. Kneaded erasers for precise erasing and/or stress-relief. (You both might “knead” them.) (Kneadable eraser yellow/red/blue in plastic box by Faber Castle, $1 each. https://bit.ly/2Et7EiY)
7. "Nevertheless. She Persisted” pencils to encourage her to keep talking, keep writing and never, ever, give up, just like @SenWarren, also featured in this issue. (Pencils, by Jubilee Design Studio, $6. https://etsy.me/2B9te8m)
Kazoo is a quarterly print magazine "for little girls who want to grow up to be president.” (--Vogue) You can find this issue, The Mistakes Issue (#8 ), at our link in bio. Annual subscriptions are $39.99 and back issues are available at www.kazoomagazine.com/shop #kazoomagazine
Julia Child, an alumni of Le Cordon Bleu Paris. A fearless who filmed French cooking lessons in her own kitchen.
My favorite recipe: Bouillabaisse 😋
What Julia Child recipes have you made?
Per una perfetta Boeuf Bourguignon: 1kg di carne di manzo, 1 carota, 2 cipolle rosse, 1 risata fragorosa, 15 cipolline, 1 filo di perle, sale qb e pestate con quel mattarello come delle pazze!!
Per#libriniregalini di oggi, a tema #donneragguardevoli , la @nana_pikkett ed io vi portiamo in cucina (locus poco amoenus per entrambe, ma se lo facciamo c'e' una valida ragione). La Julia Child non e' stata solo una cuoca per l'America degli Anni 60, ma un personaggio eccentrico capace di rivoluzionare il concetto di casalinga in cucina. E non a caso nelle nostre #archetipeafiori rappresenta la Burlona.
Dal suo libro Mastering the Art of French Cooking e' stato tratto il film Julie & Julia con la super Meryl Streep nei panni di Julia Child.
Ho fame. E Marco grazie al cielo sta cucinando.
11th December, 2018
"What is it that you really like to do?"
When I first read about "Julie and Julia", I was pretty curious to know about both Julia Child and Julie Powell. I wanted to know how and where they started off, and how they knew this was it! But as I moved forward with the movie, I saw how that it's okay to not know where you are going. Not have a plan in your 40s, or not really look beyond horizons for inspirations.
And it's really okay to cook for yourself and your loved ones without being a chef, because they're anyway going to love it, and mostly importantly love you.
"If there's a sexier sound on this planet than the person you're in love with cooing over the crepes you made for him, I don't know what it is."
Perfect hard boiled egg. I use the Julia Child method and they're perfect every time. For those unfamiliar, that's:
Bring pot with eggs and cold water to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and cover for 15 minutes. Drain and shock eggs in ice water till chilled. #juliachild#perferctboiledegg#food#foodporn#cooking#thischefslife
I landed this super sweet $3 thrift store find this morning, and I can’t wait to read it during my down time next month. While carving a different path than the Michelin restaurant chefs she learned from in Paris, few people had a more lasting impact on American food culture than Julia Child. Her legacy still lives every day through countless dinner tables surrounded by friends and family all across the world. #juliachild#beforetherewasmartha#greatesthomecook