#TheBronx is the northernmost of the five #boroughs of #NewYorkCity , within the U.S. state of #NewYork . It is geographically south of #WestchesterCounty ; north and east of the island and borough of #Manhattan to the south and west across the #HarlemRiver ; and north of the borough of #Queens , across the #EastRiver . Of the five boroughs, the #Bronx is the only one that has the majority of its area on the U.S. mainland. Since 1914, the Bronx has had the same boundaries as #BronxCounty , a county of New York.
The Bronx is divided by the #BronxRiver into a hillier section in the west, closer to Manhattan, and a flatter eastern section, closer to #LongIsland . East and west street addresses are divided by #JeromeAvenue —the continuation of Manhattan's Fifth Avenue. The West Bronx was annexed to New York City in 1874, and the areas east of the Bronx River in 1895. Bronx County was separated from New York County in 1914. About a quarter of the Bronx's area is open space, including #WoodlawnCemetery , Van Cortlandt Park, Pelham Bay Park, the New York Botanical Garden, and the Bronx Zoo in the borough's north and center. These open spaces are situated primarily on land deliberately reserved in the late #19thcentury as urban development progressed north and east from Manhattan.
The name "Bronx" originated with #JonasBronck , who established the first #settlement in the area as part of the #NewNetherland colony in 1639. The native Lenape were displaced after 1643 by settlers. In the 19th and 20th centuries, the Bronx received many immigrant groups as it was transformed into an #urban community, first from various European countries (particularly Ireland, Germany, and Italy) and later from the Caribbean region (particularly Puerto Rico, Haiti, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic), as well as African American migrants from the southern United States. This #culturalmix has made the Bronx a wellspring of both Latin music and #hiphop .
"In 1639, settler Jonas Bronck purchased 500 acres of land from natives. The natives called the area Ranachqua, “the end place," and the river that would also bear Bronck's name was known as Aquahung, "river of high bluffs." Bronk called his estate Emmaus, after a place in the Bible, and constructed his house overlooking the Bronx Kill and Hell Gate, near what is now 132nd Street and Lincoln Avenue. Other settlers started calling the area Bronck's Land, which was later Anglicized to The Bronx. Bronck was successful in trading beaver pelts and had a grand plan to grow tobacco on his farm, but this was cut short by his premature death. His family’s motto was Ne Cede Malis, “do not yield to evil,” which was a quote from the Aeneid. In 1912, Bronx Borough President Cyrus C. Miller adopted it for the borough’s new flag. The flag, designed by August W. Schlemmer, contained much of the imagery of the Bronck family crest. The shield contains a sun, representing liberty, rising over the sea, representing commerce. An eagle on a hemisphere tops the shield, with it facing east, wings outstretched. This represents looking back towards the Old World, with one foot in the New World. The scene is surrounded by a laurel wreath, symbolizing triumph and victory. The background has three stripes, but they are oriented horizontally (the flag of #NewYorkCity and #Manhattan has the stripes oriented vertically). This flag is known as the Prinsenvlag, "Prince's flag," as it was used by William I, the Prince of Orange." IMAGE & HISTORY: @discovering_nyc