Still looking at the #GardenOfTheProvincesAndTerritories , here with a contrast to views in the winter.
“The Garden of the Provinces is a four-acre site along Confederation Boulevard [Wellington] on the western edge of downtown Ottawa. Under the jurisdiction of Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC), the Garden symbolizes the provinces and territories of Canada, and is one of the few remaining examples of inspired, high quality landscape design from the early #1960s . Until recently, the site has been underappreciated by both the professional community and the public at large, and in spite of a recent rehabilitation, remains ‘under threat.’
“The Garden of the Provinces is organized as two formal terraces, the primary terrace along the south axis and a secondary terrace serving as the transition to Wellington Street. (The site’s prime entry point is at the northeast corner, with the intersection of Bay and Wellington Streets.) The primary terrace is ‘broken up’ by two rectangular grassed planes establishing the site’s internal structure, with one punctuated by a water fountain. The basic organizational device is the grid: the resultant space accommodates free movement through the site. To downplay the effect of increasing northbound traffic on Bay Street, massive planters were incorporated on the east side which also helped to screen the loading docks of the Veterans’ building.
“The highest quality materials were employed. Staircases were comprised of dressed Stanstead granite and Indiana limestone banding; concrete surface panels boasted the first use of exposed aggregate in Ottawa. The limestone banding was consciously selected to reflect both the material and patterning evident in the west façade of the Trade and Commerce Building (now the West Memorial Building) across Bay…” - John E. Zvonar, Heritage Conservation Directorate, PWGSC
Looking at the #GardenOfTheProvincesAndTerritories from different points along Wellington Street. It was designed by landscape architect #DonGraham and completed in #1961 . This is fairly close to where the Portage Bridge reaches Ottawa. But for a ridge, Bronson Avenue would extend to the western end of this #NCC park.
“The Garden of the Provinces and Territories is situated in the western end of downtown Ottawa, along Wellington Street between Parliament Hill and the LeBreton Flats. The four-acre site includes grassy areas and flower beds, a sculpture, paths and, at the corner of Sparks and Bay Streets, a structure formed by two paved terraces linked to each other and to the street by stairways. Two fountains with sculptures adorn the terraces as well as floral emblems representing the provinces and territories of Canada. The Garden offers residents and office workers a chance to sit and contemplate the view of the Ottawa River, to retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city and listen to the rippling sounds of the fountains.
“First proposed as part of the 1950 city plan by the French architect and urban planner Jacques Greber, the Garden was a key component of the redevelopment plan for this sector of the city, originally a working-class neighbourhood. The Garden’s theme of representing the provinces of Canada dates from its conception at the end of the 1950s, when the National Capital Commission (NCC) was created. Its construction was part of a movement to affirm the national identity of the capital. “The change of name in 2005, from the Garden of the Provinces to the Garden of the Provinces and Territories was made at the same time as the restoration work to repair the pumping system of the fountains, re-point the low stone walls and build an accessible entrance.”
One of my favourite places in Ottawa in the #summer ! I’ve posted images of the #GardenOfProvincesAndTerritories before, but not in summer, when it becomes a haven from the heat and noise. This is across the street from the Library and Archives Canada, at the north end of Bay Street and the west of Sparks Street.
“The Garden of the Provinces and Territories is one of Canada’s foremost #Modernist landscapes. Proposed in the Gréber Plan of 1950 and designed in 1960 by #landscape architect Donald W. Graham (1930-2017), the Garden of the Provinces was created to celebrate the provinces of Confederation in anticipation of Canada's centennial year. In 2005, it became known as the Garden of the Provinces and Territories.
“Construction began in early October of 1961. The Garden was officially opened by Prime Minister John Diefenbaker on September 25, #1962 .
“The Garden is composed of two parts: a one-acre park of formal terraces and plantings at the corner of Sparks and Bay streets, and an adjacent 4-acre park with a picturesque landscape of lawns and plantings sloping westward. “The terraces were organized so they can be viewed, approached and enjoyed from several different angles and vantage points. The large upper terrace was designed as a rigourous grid pattern of raised planting beds and trees, ans surface patterns of concrete aggregate pavers bordered by smooth finished limestone.
“The individual provinces and territories are represented by bronze plaques and floral insets mounted to the inner face of the granite balustrades, and groupings of provincial, territorial and Canadian flags flying atop 40-foot bronze flag poles.”
HOUSE OF FILUCCIA
HOME OF THE BRIOCHE
STRAIGHT FROM THE REAL DEAL TEAM OVER AT @breadbyus
REALLY MADE FRESH EVERY SINGLE DAY
BRING THE KIDS
BRING YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
BRING YOUR GOLDFISH
BRING THE TROOPS
IT’S A BEAUTY OF A DAY AND REMEMBER WE ARE HERE UNTIL MIDNIGHT TONIGHT
NO FOOTLONG NO PANINI PRESS NO KAISER BUNS
2 SCRATCH MADE MILK CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES STUFFED WITH ONE OF OUR DAILY SELECTIONS
MADE TO ORDER
A COOKIE SANDWICH MADE TO ORDER