THE LODI GARDENS:-
The tomb of Mohammed Shah, the second last of the sayyid rulers, the earliest of the tombs in the garden, was built in 1444 by Ala-ud-din Alam Shah as a tribute to Mohammed Shah. As there is little architecture from these two periods remaining in India, Lodi Gardens is an important place of preservation. The tomb of Mohammed Shah is visible from the road, and is the earliest structure in the gardens. The architecture is characterised by the octagonal chamber, with stone chhajas on the roof and guldastas on the corners.
Another tomb within the gardens is that of sikander lodi, which is similar to Mohammed Shah's tomb, though without the chhatris, it was built by his son ibrahim lodi in 1517, the last of Sultan of Delhi from Lodi dynasty, as he was defeated by babur, first battle of panipat in 1526, this laying the foundation of the Mughal . His tomb is often mistaken to be the Shisha Gumbad, and is actually situated in near the tehsil office in panipat, close to the dargah of Sufi saint bu ali shah qulandar. It is a simple rectangular structure on a high platform approached by a flight of steps. The tomb was renovated by the British, and an inscription mentioning Ibrahim Lodi's defeat at the hands of Babur and the renovation was included in 1866. Under the Mughals major renovations would often take place depending on what occasions they would use the gardens for, under Akbar the Great the garden was used as an observatory and to keep records in a purpose built library.