Art by · René Magritte @kozokai | Not quite the start of the month yet, but I felt the need to share this one for the sake of its timelessness. Have a nice one, (re)posts start on the first. More info on how much artwork will be chosen and showcased soon.
• Berserk, a classic, it’s a timeless anime. One of the best. Along as being my absolute favourite anime. I’m mostly talking about Berserk 1997 because Berserk 2017 isn’t bad but it’s not as good as 1997.
• Why is Berserk (1997) a good anime?
• 1. The art style and animation really give you the late 90’s anime feel, like the Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho and Cowboy Bepop vibe. If you’re a fan of this art style then Berserk will appeal to you visually.
• 2. The narrative is amazing. I’m not even talking about characters, I’m strictly talking story and world building. Miura has done a fantastic job on fleshing out the land of Berserk, as well as the Kingdoms and locations in the Manga/Anime.
• 3. The characters are memeroable because they’re human. The main protagonist of Berserk, Guts, is such an interesting character, he isn’t a cliche shonen character. He’s a boy, all he’s ever known was battle. Griffith, who is a hero, saviour and is a righteous hero, but later on we get to understand his motivation to lead the Band of the Hawks. And there’s other characters, like Casca, Zodd and the entire Band of the Hawks. All of them have character.
• 4. The plot is conveyed smoothly and beautifully because Miura has fleshed out the narrative and the world so nicely. The events make sense, they’re not contrived, the plot flows naturally and even the time skips make sense. Everything makes sense is what I’m getting at.
• those are my reasons why you should watch Berserk. And if you’re still doubting the anime or you don’t like it. Read the manga. It’s the anime but even better, and you don’t have to watch the atrocity of Berserk 2017.