Despite the work (see the innumerable house plant challenges in my ‘pests’ highlights) they still do bring a much needed tranquility, therapy and daily joy.
Oh and thank you for all the responses in my stories today! Guess I’m not alone in my house plant pest battle after all. Just so many new and heightened issues this year. #plantparenthood .
(and thank you to my sweet girl @navaelukas for capturing this moment of sunlit happiness!)
She was so gorgeous when I got her in November. The flowers were absolutely to die for. These plants really don't take well to being moved or disturbed when in bud/flower. So if you have bought one and they all drop when you get home, don't despair! Patience and good care should get them blooming again the following year. 💦 These are forest floor and tree dwelling cacti so they do require more regular watering and higher humidity than desert dwelling cacti. However it's still important to have them in well draining soil and allow the top layer of soil to dry out in between watering. 🌸 Keep them in an indirect spot, can be slightly shady, but don't forget to rotate the pot slightly after watering. This should encourage flowering all around the plant, rather than just on the side it gets light. If you can have it outside during summer, that will be most ideal.
I've now collected all 3 types of these cacti (Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter). #houseplantclub#houseplant#plantstagram#plantlife#plantsmakepeoplehappy
Remember this babe? My beautiful Mama Spider Plant? Well I actually got her at @plant_guelph!😇 🌿 Which, I hope you all remember, is where I'll be tomorrow from 2-4pm for a Plant Swap Party!! Check out the store's page for official details. Can't wait to finally meet some of you!!😻💚🌱🌿🍃🌵🌴
Some things about me you probably didn't know, unless you are a friend in real life who has followed my plant account in addition to my "normal" account 😆
1. I work as a machine designer. I currently design food processing equipment. I enjoy the creative outlet and problem solving.
2. I am a passionate beer geek. I brew my own, and am a perfectionist about it, and seek out the best examples commercially that I can. Belgian and farmhouse beers hold a special place in my heart.
3. I am also a bicycle nerd. I spend my whole childhood / teenage years on my mountain bike, exploring the endless forests around my childhood home. I still ride technical mountain bike trails (our local trail network is famous around the world for its technical and extreme natural). I also rode biketrials competitively, which involves balance and hopping. Additionally I enjoy bike touring and just cruising around town as well.
4. The houseplant obsession is typical of my personality - when I get into something, I really get into something. I would love to have a proper garden, but living in Vancouver is insanely expensive, so having a yard is out of the question. I think the average house price here is about $1.7M?
5. I am a bigtime dog lover and have two (a sheltie mix and a mini Aussie) but also used to have cats, and enjoy both. I think I prefer dogs, but since they are way more work, maybe it evens out!
My girl Jackie at @likeawomanseries has been gathering women's stories — because we all know every experience happens with a difference lens as a woman. Work is different, walking down the street is different, and let's just go modest here and say childbirth is different for a woman. 😉
So thrilled she reached out because this collab was a fun one. Her upcoming collection on childbirth appropriately called "OH MAMA!" is about to 'hit the shelves'. You'll find a whole series of these baby-mamas over there. 💅
Every death fuels new life. 🥀🌹 Mama Earth understood the meaning of "recycle" best.
My recent podcast obsession is with the show Ted Radio Hour. This post was inspired by their most recent episode "Circular". I highly recommend giving it a listen.
The episode explored ways people were creating waste free, looping systems like Nature intended. Cause she’s the og boss. I loved the stories like @plastic_bank who are not only creating sustainable systems, but turning a profit and reversing poverty.
Let's team up with Mama Earth instead of working against her.
Late afternoons are feeling rather cosy now but whenever a candle is lit, all I can hear is Freyja blowing raspberries in an attempt to blow the candles out. She will love her birthday 🍰
I am so incredibly fortunate to work with the most thoughtful and brilliant minds at @thedesigngym. Thankful for their tolerance of my obsessive plant chatter during team meetings and gifting the office with the addition of these beautiful new stationary designs. I have a team who listens and incorporates personal passions into tools we use to drive our work forward, reflective of our own unique voices. Best #monsteramonday yet.