⏯ Continued from the previous post.
"By mid-April, 1954, thousands of windshields had been reported as being pitted. Police stations were swamped with calls, and no one knew what to do. To appease the panicking population, the Governor ordered the formation of a committee of scientists to investigate the phenomenon.
After surveying almost a hundred cars, the scientific commission observed that most cars were pitted in the front, and not the back. Then, with the help of the City of Seattle Police Department, it was determined that older cars showed more significant signs of pitting. They even investigated auto lots and discovered that brand new vehicles were untouched, whereas used older cars, parked next to them, showed dings and pitting. It wasn't radioactivity, electronic oscillations, cosmic rays, atmospheric events, hatching sand-flea eggs, coral debris, supersonic sound waves, or a shift in the earth's magnetic field. Instead, they concluded the damage was a result of normal driving conditions in which small objects strike the windshields of cars. It seemed hard to believe. The pits had been there all along, but no one had noticed them until now.
A Sergeant of the Seattle police crime laboratory declared that 5 percent of all damage reports were attributed to vandalism, while the other 95 percent was based on public hysteria. To prove the point, once the news of that conclusion spread, the pitting incidents abruptly stopped.
In the end, this particular event is now known as the Seattle Windshield Pitting Epidemic of 1954, and it's referenced as a textbook example of collective delusion. Many sociologists and psychologists include it in their courses." - Comrade (the human)
"Collective delusion? 🤔 Like when hoomans want to wash us immediately after we've already showered with rain or bathed in a lake or cleansed with fresh mud? 🙄" - Sinatra
📢: In collaboration with @visitseattle