When you go hunting for coffee in any big city you are going to find more than a couple of surprises tucked away in laneways. This is definitely the case in Brisbane as well, with my latest surprise little find being Strauss tucked into the side of a laneway off Elizabeth Street.
While the cafe is a small spot there is also some seating in the laneway outside. When it comes to coffee they are serving some great coffee from Coffee Supreme which definitely was a good way to start the day. If you would like to visit Strauss you can find them at 189 Elizabeth Street in Brisbane CBD, but do remember they are down the laneway.
I love a good buckle! No I am not talking about the thing you put with your belt. I am talking about the dessert. In case you don't know a buckle is a fruit baked into a cake batter and topped off with a crumble topping. Blueberries are the most common fruit used. I also like to mix in some peaches as well.
Here is my recipe for Peach-Blueberry Buckle.
For the batter
9 ounces cake flour, about 2 cups
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
5 1/4 ounces sugar, about 3/4 cup
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups fresh whole blueberries
1 1/2 cups fresh sliced peaches
For the topping:
1 1/2 ounces cake flour, about 1/3 cup
3 1/2 ounces sugar, about 1/2 cup
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
2 ounces cold butter, cut into cubes 🍴 Instructions
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
3. Then add in the egg and mix until fully incorporated.
4. Take turns adding the milk and flour mixture with the mixer set to low speed.
5. Do about 1/3 of each at a time. Let them fully incorporate and then do the other.
6. Stop the mixer and gently stir in the fruit, Don’t mix it in with the mixer.
To make the topping
1. Combine the flour, sugar, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
2. Using your hands rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
To bake the buckle
1. Pour the batter into 8 or 9 inch baking dish. Round or square whatever you like. I prefer round, so I can cut it into wedges. Make sure you spray the baking dish with non-stick spray before adding the batter.
2. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter.
3. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
4. Allow the buckle to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
#blueberries#blueberry#peach#peaches#buckle#buckledessert#blueberrybuckle#peachbuckle#dessert @buzzfeast @thefeedfeed #cake#fruitcake#coffeecake#blueberrycake#inseason#summerdessert#summerfood#cakerecipe#blueberryrecipe
Can all #humpday 🐫 ‘s start like this? 😩 Such a cute location and amazing food! 📸 Coffee cake, and Farmer’s Garden Eggs. Apparently, they are known for their oatmeal pancakes, so I will definitely be stopping by again soon!! #eatingoodlivinbetta
What we had for #breakfast yesterday and today, and we will have tomorrow here in the #desert . #muffins ! They are the big ones from Costco, which is another thing we bought on Monday. You can pick any two flavors (6 muffins per pack) for $7.99. I love their muffins, I always have half of each flavor every time we buy these. We have #doublechocolate and #coffeecake . I've never seen the coffeecake flavor there before. It must be a new flavor or if not, they probably haven't sold it in a really long time.
Ooooohhhhhhmmmmyyyyy.....holy moly! We have a large corporate event tomorrow and they ordered old fashioned coffee cakes to give as take away gifts. When these were baking yesterday, I was dying! The smell was so unbelievably enticing. And I am a massive sucker for anything cinnamon. ...
... So today I got to eat some scraps and oh my freaking gawd! That streysel topping has me like 😍😍😍 These are definitely going on the morning menu when we finally get our retail side up and running! ...
... We are also planning to have big fat cinnamon rolls, and hold on to your hats....Maple Bacon cinnamon rolls! Yum!!! What else would you love to grab in the morning? (Except donuts....not gonna do donuts!)
S P L E N D O U R V I B E S ✨
We’re already feeling the feels with Splendour oh so close! ☺️ May you dance till your feet hurt, take countless selfies then come hang with us for all of the foodie feels!🍩☕️🍰✌️
GlitterBum Pic👉 @tarasimonphoto
Having a crumby day😰? Buckle up & unleash happiness🦋onto your taste buds w/ this blueberry buckle! Blueberry muffin meets coffee cake💙. My kids cooking camp rocks!