BEST SONGS OF 2018:
10. @kamasiwashington , “Fists of Fury” - Political, powerful jazz; a condensed opus about speaking truth to power
9. boygenius, “Bite the Hand” - the best song from these wonderful songwriters working together. An impassioned vocal, beautiful harmonies, and revelatory lyrics
8. @kingpush, “The Story of Adidon” - maybe one of the greatest diss tracks of all time and one of the most exciting moments in hip hop this year. #fuckdrake
7. @brckhmptn, “JOUVERT” - the best song off their new mainstream breakthrough “iridescence.” The performance by JOBA is one of the best verses of the year
6. @anderson._paak ft. @kendricklamar, “Tints” - one of the funkiest, grooviest, most infectious pop tunes of the year. Its impossible not to smile (or dance) when listening to this track.
5. Parquet Courts, “Wide Awake!” - this song is insanely catchy, punk as hell, and lyrically succinct. The fact that Parquet Courts went from playing dive bars to playing this song on Ellen in 5 years is insane.
4. @daughters.official, “Satan In the Wait” - ‘that bastard had a head like a matchstick; face like he was sucking concrete through a straw...some faces not even a mother can love’...probably the most evocative lyric of 2018 and easily one of the most normality crushing songs in heavy music maybe ever.
3. IDLES, “Danny Nedelko” - this song is a joyous anthem for loving thy neighbor in a time where everything is sliding Right (wrong). We are Danny Nedelko.
2. @marcrebillet, “Reach Out” - all in one take, all seemless, insanely infectious, and amazingly performed (check the youtube video out...or really any of his videos). This song will make this amazing human a household name.
1. @childishgambino , “This is America” - without a doubt, the most important song of the year. It defined what it felt like to be in the United States during a time where domestic terrorism, xenophobia, and rightest extremism are hitting peak levels. Beyond that, it’s specific perspective was conveying the nature of being a black man/black person in modern America, and the mainstreams unwillingness to deal with police violence. Beyond that, the song is just damned good and absurdly catchy.
Can't stand it, backhanded
They wanna see us fallin' apart
You know that I love you
So let me into your heart
Let me into your heart
Do you really love me?
I'm gon' get you, girl
This is the end of us
Sleeping with the moon and the stars
I know where you've been
You can see the sun
Woahh this is crazy how long ago it was released, I’d say it’s an incredible piece of art, the entire story also has a back story to it about an alien and if you don’t know about it I insist you look into it and the music videos for the album. I believe that gambino is one of the most talented rappers out there in terms of not just songs but his music video ideas, his acting and everything really. The guy is incredible. BTI has so many amazing songs, one for every mood, a wide range, my personal favourite are sweatpants, urn, zealots of Stockholm, telegraph ave and earth the oldest computer. Absolute masterpiece, I’d give it a 8.5/10 by itself but if I counted the music videos with it then 9.3/10. Go Gambino :) - J
December 10, 2013...... the first of many seeds planted for being true to yourself. I was going through such a dark time... my ex left me after getting him outta jail I lost my job I was evicted my aunt took me in I developed a drinking problem I was depressed it was all bad lol... I would lay in bed in the dark with this on repeat over and over again. This album spoke to me his energy I felt it... being different never really bothered me I would adjust to make others comfortable but now I’m secure with me I’m working on solely creating MY NARRATIVE... live the life you see fit because only you are responsible for your actions your choice and your happiness don’t live your life based on things BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET 😍(see what I did there😏) #childishgambino#gambinogirl#becauseoftheinternet#mood#music#greatness#selldopeforever
KENDRICK LAMAR, DRAKE & CARDI B LEAD THE 2019 GRAMMY NOMINATIONS
The #2019GrammyNominations have been revealed and #CardiB , #Drake and #KendrickLamar are looking for a big night on music’s biggest stage! Kendrick Lamar leads with eight noms, and Drake follows with seven.
Producer #Boi -1da received six noms while Cardi B, #ChildishGambino , #H .E.R. got five!
See more at http://www.NewYorkBeacon.com
Who thought @childishgambino music video “This Is America” was one of the most controversial hiphop music videos on YouTube in 2018 ? Check it out if you haven’t and let us know your thoughts in the comments. Want to stay hiphupdated ? It’s just one click to follow us!