Can you believe it’s week 25 of 2018 already? While we’re at it, it’s the 169th day and there’s 196 more days until we welcome 2019 😲 (Can you tell I love numbers? 🙄) Time is REALLY flying by... which reminds me why I need to slow down sometimes and live more in the moment. How is your 2018 treating you so far? I have to say I’m quite happy with how I’ve been smashing my goals, one at a time. 🎉 I’m really enjoying this journey to become stronger, healthier and fitter. Working on yourself is really the best gift you can give yourself, remember that 🎁 -
I’m off to meet my lovely friend @outdoorsmama very soon but I’ve already smashed a workout. Today was mainly cardio with @msjeanettejenkins A 47-minute workout, burning 381 calories 🔥 Starting Monday on the right note, I say 🤩💪
Okay, so what is in this picture... A few days ago I was recipe testing and I posted a sneak peek. You guys got the main ingredient RIGHT 😁 - LEMON CHICKPEA BAKES inspired by Nicole from @cookingforkeeps 😋 I have to admit, I did have a problem with them breaking so much. I’m blaming it on the fact that I used Canned Chickpeas and I might not have drained them as well as I should have 🤔 I will definitely try this recipe again as I absolutely loved the taste and I will share my results here. These would make such lovely appetizers when having guests over! -
For those who still would like the recipe, here it goes 👇
INGREDIENTS for 10 Chickpea Bakes:
🍃367 grams chickpeas/garbanzo beans
🍃20 grams chopped baby spinach
🍃1 slice wholewheat toasted bread as breadcrumbs 🍃6 cloves of garlic
🍃40 grams onion
🍃Juice of 1/2 a lemon
🍃25 grams Pine Nuts
🍃22 grams Dijon Mustard
🍃2 tbsp & 1 tsp Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
2. Heat a small non-stick pan and add 1 tsp olive oil, onions, garlic & 1/4 tsp salt. Saute until onions & garlic have softened. Transfer to a bowl and let it cool. Wipe pan clean and toast pine nuts over low heat. Be careful not to burn.
3. Add chickpeas to food processor and pulse until they are in tiny pieces, but not pureed. You do want a bit of texture.
4. Transfer chickpeas to a bowl. Add onion
Two of the foods i can't eat right now on the FODMAP diet are chickpeas and garlic... so that means hummus right? (😭)
Well turns out that you can eat up to 1/4c of chickpeas but only if they're from a can. The fodmaps leach onto the liquid brine leaving the actual legume with very little. So i made my own hummus today and used garlic infused oil to flavour it. Garlic's fodmaps are water soluble so if i fry garlic in oil then remove the actual garlic pieces I'm left with delicious garlicy oil without the fodmaps. Crazy learning so much about food and how it affects the body. So fascinating! Ps. This is the best hummus I've ever eaten 🌱
Como si los años no hubieran pasado.. En el video (2013), en el escenario (2018). Revivir este momento fue increiblemente bonito y imposible no emocionarse. CHICKPEAS! ❤ #remember#chickpeas#always @aidaligero @tina_marti @neusisflow
It’s on days like today that I appreciate batch cooking at the weekend. Remember the chickpeas I posted on Sunday morning? Well, here they are again and this time on toast with 🥑
There isn’t as much 🥑 as it looks, I’m just trying to use up what I have especially since I’m also cutting down on fats again. If you follow my other page @wellnesswithsomi you know I’ve been dealing with unusual-for-me bloating because I spent about 10 days eating way too much fat in my diet. I just don’t handle a high-fat diet anymore...I’m feeling much better now though 🙏🏽
As a side note and because this is one of my FAQ, a key reason why you maybe experiencing bloating on a plant-based diet is not chewing your food properly. I am actually guilty of this, I’m usually rushing to do something else after eating or doing something while eating so I don’t think I chew my food more than 5 times before swallowing - ridiculous I know.
The problem is that you can’t always get away with this when eating whole foods. There’s way too much fibre for that. You need to help your stomach out by chewing each mouthful at least 20-30 times so that your stomach is not overworked trying to digest large pieces of food. Usually those large pieces end up getting fermented by bacteria and that’s what causes the bloating, burping, and flatulence...
Right quick study break to bring you all a picture of my lunch which is currently powering my brain through a rapid revision session before tonight’s exam 😂😂🙌☀️ And yes, before you scoff at the almost empty jar of @noya.nutbutter hazelnutbutter filled with warm, gooey, fudgey, vanilla maple cookie dough- there was in fact a plate of veggies eaten along with it 😂🙌☀️👌💛☀️ So, without further a do: grab ya blenders and get to whipping up this insanely delicious (and secretly soooo healthy) cookie dough!
Vanilla Maple Cookie-Dough:
1 cup drained and rinsed chickpeas
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 scoop @pranaon vanilla maple protein powder
1 teaspoon maca powder
1 medjool date
1 teaspoon cinnamon - whaz up in the @vitamix_aunz until smooth and combined- pop in an almost empty jar of your fav nut butter for optimal enjoyment (or just add a nice big spoon to the blender pre-blend)
EAT 🍪☀️🍪 Happy days ☀️ #happy#happydays#plantpowered#lunch#cookiedough#nutbutter#healthylunch#dessertforlunch#veggies#vegan#veganfoodshare#vegangains#plantbased#vegansofig#chickpeas#delicious#delish#yum
One of my favourite foods everrrrr♥️
This is a type of chickpea soup that is really popular in the Middle East. You can eat it on its own or it’s amazing over rice!🤤 Ingredients:
1 & 1/2 cup chickpeas, soaked for at least 12 hours
3-4 cups of water
1 large onion
Salt to taste, start with 2 tsp
1/2 tsp vegetable stock powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp curry powder
Know that all herbs and spices are to taste and you can start with a little and add more of what you like.
1. Drain soaked chickpeas and add to a pot
2. Boil water and add over the chickpeas at high heat. Water should be well covering the chickpeas and add more as they cook. If you like it soupy, keep adding!
3. Quarter your onion and add to the pot
4. Add all herbs and spices and stir
5. Let cook for about 30 minutes or until chickpeas are cooked and soft but still intact
6. Enjoy! ♥️♥️♥️
SNACK IDEA 💡 Grab a tin of chickpeas & marinate them with oil, paprika, salt and pepper 😍 Roast them in the oven till crunchy (I did 180°C for 35-45 minutes) 😍 Perfect addition to salads or just as a snack 🙌 see latest post for how I used them!
Sunday night, I noticed I needed more protein! I had a can of chickpeas and made honey butter chickpea snack. It took for less than 10 minuets and tasted great. Don’t forget essential nutrition for your health! 일요일 밤, 단백질 충전을 위해 허니버터 병아리콩을 만들었어요. 10분도 안 걸리고 맛있었어요! 긴축정책 중에도 영양소, 놓치지 마세여! 😆
Celebrated Father's Day with a BBQ at our home. I ate one too many chicken skewers and enough steak to make my belly feel like I ate a boulder. Looking forward to lighter eating like this meal I had a couple of days ago. Hope all of you lovely folks enjoyed a wonderful weekend ❤️
Butter lettuce • #ricedcauliflower • #shreddedcarrots • #chickpeas • #avocado topped with @traderjoes #hempseeds and #everythingbutthebagel seasoning.
“Set your intentions for the week ahead. People who plan achieve” ✍🏻 The only way I’m able remain successful with my meal plan is by planning my meals ahead and prepping as much as possible before the week begins. 🍱
Here is this weeks meal plan (when I’m not traveling). I will be bringing my clean protein bars and healthy snacks for the flight ✈️ Breakfast: * Chocolate banana 🍌 superfood shake
Prep: * pealed/sliced the bananas in half and froze in freezer bag
* Toasted chick pea pita melt * Half sliced cucumber 🥒
Prep: none needed
Dinner: * Avocado 🥑 zucchini alfredo shrimp 🍤
Prep: * I used a spiralizer to turn the zucchini into noodles aka zoodles (I was surprised how quick and easy this was 👍)
* I portioned the shrimp into individual servings and froze
* Greek yogurt with blueberries * Pea pods * Peanut butter chocolate or Almond cherry Protein bar
* Performance line products to help my performance and provides extra yummy treats 😋 .
This week’s special - and isn’t it the weather for it! Gorgeous organic chickpeas are fabulous for all your winter curries, stews, slow cooks, and casseroles. Grown in Australia, we have really noticed the beautiful taste and texture with these chick peas. On sale this week only.
Our Australian grown organic chickpeas are on special this week for $12kg!
Try this beautiful salad recipe by @wholesomedaily - sweet potato & maple glazed pears with crunchy Moroccan chickpeas & creamy coconut & lemon dressing. Check out our Facebook page for the recipe. 😋
Don’t forget to enter our competition to WIN TICKETS TO SEE BEA JOHNSON SPEAK IN AUSTRALIA. See previous post for details. Good luck! 🤞🏼💚
Ya se fue el Sol del mediodía... hace frío y viento. Las plantas y el pasto del jardín vuelan como si las empujaran para atrás. El viento mueve los ventanales y los hace sonar. Miro por la ventana y sé que no voy a salir de casa.
Qué lindo sería estar en lo de mi abuela... volver a la infancia. A esta hora ya habría algo en el horno para la tarde y yo esperando a que esté listo. Hecho para mi, ella un té y yo una chocolatada. - Cuidado que está caliente.
Receta de una torta que compartió la generosa @minrebolledo.
No lleva manteca, harina ni huevos.
Honestamente, pensé que no me iba a salir, o que no me iba a gustar. El ingrediente principal es... GARBANZO!
Quedó muy rica, húmeda x dentro y crocante x fuera.
• 500 gr. garbanzos cocidos (si son de lata; enjuagar bien).
• 1 taza avena
• 1/4 taza puré de manzana (o un pedacito de una manzana pequeña o chorritos de jugo de cartón).
• 3 cdas. aceite de oliva
• 1 cda. extracto de vainilla
• 1 cda. canela • 2 cdtas. polvos de hornear
• 1/2 cdta. bicarbonato
• 1/2 cdta. sal de mar
• 1 1/2 tazas azúcar (u otro endulzante. Yo reduje el uso de azúcar a 1/3 taza de azúcar + 200gramos de dátiles- pueden ser pasas de uva o miel).
• 1 taza chips de chocolate (yo usé amargo).
1. Pre-calentá el horno a 180°C y engrasá ligeramente un molde de torta (yo lo rocié con aceite vegetal).
2. Mezclá todo salvo los chips de chocolate en una licuadora de alta potencia o procesador de alimentos (yo usé mi #nutribullet ). La consistencia final será bien espesa.
3. Verté parte de la mezcla en el molde, agrega los chips de chocolate y verté el resto, agrega los chips de chocolate. Podés mezclar un poco con una cuchara para que se distribuyan equitativamente.
4. Lleva al horno por unos 30-35 minutos aprox. o hasta que un palito insertado en el centro salga limpio. Húmedo saldrá porque tiene interior mojado.
5. Una vez fuera del horno, dejalo reposar 10 min antes de desmoldarlo.