LIVING AND WORKING IN A VAN
As you know we’ve lived in a van in the U.K. for the past year and worked full time in a music venue. Well in 14 days time we say bye to our full time working lives and begin the process of starting our full time writing and drawing on the road ventures, creating content and original material to help fund our way around the world.
People have asked us if it’s scary going freelance, but for us it’s exciting. We’re not sat behind a desk, and now the whole world can be our workspace. When one door closes another two open up (we’ll three if you count our sliding door). 🚐
By overwhelming request, here’s some more exterior shots of Black Beauty!
@sportsmobilewest pop top
@vancompass lift kit and skid system
@vancompass hood light pods
@aluminess roof rack
@adfsprinters custom rear box
@adfsprinters tube bumper
@kchilites on roof rack
@rigidindustries rock lights and scene lights
@blackrhinowheels warlords, powdercoated all black
@bfgoodrichtires 285-70-r17 All Terrain KO2
@rhinoliningsofsimivalley Rhino coating on bumpers and moldings
Although there hasn’t been any physical progress in the van today, it has still been a productive day. We have been to speak to a lovely man today - pa to the lovely @mrsp301082 to be precise - who gave us some excellent advice on boarding out the van, and more. We discussed whether to have a bulkhead, whether to forgo the ability to carry a third passenger and have swivel seats in the front, what to do with an auxiliary battery and how bloody expensive these vans are when they break down! .
I also spoke briefly with an extended family member who is rebuilding his own VW camper about rust removal and prevention.
And, of course there was time for a quick pic by the Northern Spire before heading home to the spaniels to run our plans by them!
This is what it looks like when you've been given an unexpected (*read, not actually that unexpected, but you've prioritised other things since April) deadline, and now have less than four weeks to complete the conversion... This weekend I took a long weekend, no not for a spa or a jolly galavant somewhere sunny, but rather, to spend some time working on Max. A good few hours were spent in there ensuring that the side walls are water tight and there are no unsuspecting leaks, (roof is different story just now), and then for some insulating. ⠀
Yes, I realise that we're doing this arse way up and we should really have the roof watertight and insulated before anything else, but since it's a DIY conversion, things just don't appear to go to plan and we're about a week away from getting the roof sorted... So:⠀
We opted for a SuperFoil vapour barrier and waterproof membrane (bought from Amazon Prime, my favourite shop!) stuck with glue to all surfaces on the doors, 25mm EcoTherm insulation board and then followed by a thin layer of plastic sheeting as another vapour barrier before the cladding goes on. ⠀
Weirdly, the doors have their own built-in, horizontal aluminium batons, which provided support for the insulation. We did have to screw in some wooden batons to allow for the cladding to be pinned on, and additional structure for our cupboards. ⠀
Drilling through the metal barrier proved to be a slight challenge… in three days, we went through at least ten 3mm drill bits. I’ll be heading back to the shop today for some more so we can finish the job! ⠀