Our commitment to land stewardship and protection of biodiversity within an organic agricultural context is evident at the Bell Mountain Vineyard 🌿
This 338-acre property is a true Northern California wildlands where 80% of the land managed for maximum ecological health of the native oak woodlands, grasslands, or chapparal communities. The remaining 20% is in organic agricultural production of grapes, olives, and vegetables 🍇🥦
By reserving the majority of our acreage for oaks, wildflowers and wildlife we help provide habitat so that there is less pressure on the areas we wish to farm 🙌🏼
Photo captured by @agustin.santiago.583 📸
With cold mornings, the vines are beginning to go dormant - their leaves shriveling & dropping to the ground. The vineyard team started pre-pruning the vines, cutting the bottom canes to about one foot long to make pruning easier in the months to come.
The smoke hanging in the air cast a strange orange glow over the rusty vineyards. I was hoping to get some good shots of wine country in the fall but I think when the smoke has gone it will be too late. Our thoughts are with all those affected. Our discomfort here in the Bay Area is a minor inconvenience in comparison.
A 3️⃣ liter bottle of our Bell Mountain Cabernet made a recent appearance at a beautiful wine country wedding 😍
The bride and groom poured this large format wine at their rehearsal dinner and at their wedding the next day, guests filled it with messages for them to open together on their one year anniversary ❤️
Have a celebration of your own coming up? Large format bottles available at the link in our bio 🔗
A view from the hills to Alexander valley
This is home to many wineries and vineyards
The weather for the greater region is Mediterranean, and is great for grape growing.
The nearby Pacific ocean dominates the climate, resulting in wet, cool winters. Summers are warm to hot and very arid, allowing for a slow depletion of soil moisture which slows down vine growth at the perfect time,
The Alexander Valley is cooled from south to north by marine air moving in from the Pacific Ocean, the combination of enough heat to ripen the crop but a big enough cool down to preserve freshness and acidity are keys to wine quality
Malolactic fermentation may sound complicated, but it doesn't have to be confusing! 🛢
Listen to our #AskAmes clip from this past Thursday to hear Ames explain what "ML" means and how far along we are in the process here at the winery this harvest 👍🏼
If you’re in Alexander Valley, definitely pay a visit to Silver Oak’s new state-of-the-art LEED certified winery. Very interesting tour delving into their sustainability practices, of course while sipping some yummy Cabs! 🍷 @silveroakcellars #sustainablity#cabernet#alexandervalley#winetasting