an online Instagram web viewer
Marcia Thompson Schoolhouse, North Stonington. Built in 1814. This one looks basic but has a very cool backstory. Originally on Taugwonk Road, it was moved to its present Main Street location in the early 1980s. It stands on the foundation of a different one-room schoolhouse on the grounds of the 1819 Andrew Baldwin House. Also on the property: a blacksmith shop, carriage house, and waterwheel. The New York Times told the story of the schoolhouse in 1987 when then-owners Frank and Anna Limpert put the house up for sale: "To furnish the schoolhouse, the Limperts used as a guide a photograph they received from Marcia Bentley Thompson, a North Stonington resident now in her 90's. The photograph shows Mrs. Thompson, then Miss Bentley, on her first day as a teacher, in 1911, at a one-room school in Clarks Falls, to the east. 
The Limperts found old desks in Rhode Island and inkwells in and along the Shunuck, just outside the schoolhouse windows. In 1983, when the restoration was complete, they named it the Marcia Thompson Schoolhouse and held ''Marcia Thompson Day.'' ''We invited all the one-room teachers we could find,'' said Mr. Limpert. Mrs. Thompson, sitting at the teacher's desk, joined several other former teachers in such activities as singing old school songs. Today, Mrs. Thompson's Bible sits, at her request, on the teacher's desk under pictures of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln but not far from the colorful crayon drawings of the schoolhouse made by children from the North Stonington Elementary School." The house, schoolhouse included, is now on the market again: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/63-Main-St-North-Stonington-CT-06359/59973800_zpid/

#northstonington #northstoningtonct 
#ct #Connecticut #cthistory #newengland #newenglandhistory #oldschool #oldschoolhouse #oneroomschool #schoolhouse #oneroomschoolhouse

Marcia Thompson Schoolhouse, North Stonington. Built in 1814. This one looks basic but has a very cool backstory. Originally on Taugwonk Road, it was moved to its present Main Street location in the early 1980s. It stands on the foundation of a different one-room schoolhouse on the grounds of the 1819 Andrew Baldwin House. Also on the property: a blacksmith shop, carriage house, and waterwheel. The New York Times told the story of the schoolhouse in 1987 when then-owners Frank and Anna Limpert put the house up for sale: "To furnish the schoolhouse, the Limperts used as a guide a photograph they received from Marcia Bentley Thompson, a North Stonington resident now in her 90's. The photograph shows Mrs. Thompson, then Miss Bentley, on her first day as a teacher, in 1911, at a one-room school in Clarks Falls, to the east. The Limperts found old desks in Rhode Island and inkwells in and along the Shunuck, just outside the schoolhouse windows. In 1983, when the restoration was complete, they named it the Marcia Thompson Schoolhouse and held ''Marcia Thompson Day.'' ''We invited all the one-room teachers we could find,'' said Mr. Limpert. Mrs. Thompson, sitting at the teacher's desk, joined several other former teachers in such activities as singing old school songs. Today, Mrs. Thompson's Bible sits, at her request, on the teacher's desk under pictures of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln but not far from the colorful crayon drawings of the schoolhouse made by children from the North Stonington Elementary School." The house, schoolhouse included, is now on the market again: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/63-Main-St-North-Stonington-CT-06359/59973800_zpid/ #northstonington  #northstoningtonct  #ct  #Connecticut  #cthistory  #newengland  #newenglandhistory  #oldschool  #oldschoolhouse  #oneroomschool  #schoolhouse  #oneroomschoolhouse 

2 Comments:

  1. zagmar13

    Excellent!

  2. zagmar13

    Love Stonington

31 Likes: